Updates will appear on this page.
06.01.2021 – CHAUNCY SCHOOL UPDATE – DENNIS O’SULLIVAN (HEADTEACHER)
07.01.2021 – INCREASED MOBILE DATA FOR STUDENTS
You may have seen that the government have announced a deal with mobile companies to provide an increase in data for those eligible children who are struggling with connectivity.
Sadly, rather than give everyone a temporary data boost, ask parents to text the mobile companies directly or create a simple online form that the DfE can manage, once again this job has been passed down to school staff to manage.
To qualify you will need to:
1. Read the information carefully on this webpage: https://get-help-with-tech.education.gov.uk/about-increasing-mobile-data
2. Read and agree to the Privacy Statement here: https://get-help-with-tech.education.gov.uk/increasing-mobile-data/privacy-notice
3. Provide the following information:
A The account holder’s name
B The mobile number (a number beginning with ‘07’)
C The mobile network (e.g. Three)
D Whether it is Pay Monthly or Pay as You Go
After all that, if you think that you qualify for this scheme, you need to provide us with the following accurate information via this surveymonkey form: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MOBILEDATA012021
Please do this by the end of Wednesday 13th January 2021.
We will process the information for you and see what happens.
Steve Walton (Deputy Headteacher)
07.01.2021 – USING CONSOLES TO ACCESS GOOGLE CLASSROOM
I have been sent this tip or similar today by several staff and students. Thanks.
I have just tried it and although using a controller is awkward to start with, it does work and if you plug a USB keyboard into your Xbox you can type as well as you would on a PC or tablet.
Using Xbox or PlayStation to Access Online Resources
Using Xbox or Play Station to access the internet
Accessing your remote learning.
An alternative method of accessing remote learning during times of lockdown.
1. Plug a keyboard in to the Xbox USB slot
2. Go in to my games and apps
3. Find Microsoft Edge and Type in: www.classroom.google.com, www.mail.chauncy.org.uk, www.edulinkone.com etc.
4. You can then access your online work as usual
5. To move around you use the Xbox controller or plug in a mouse
1. Identify the PlayStation internet browser icon (it is WWW with dots around it)
2. Press the PlayStation logo on the controller
3. Go to the library and find options for games and applications
4. Go in to applications and you will find the internet browser
5. You can then access your online work as usual by typing in the web address
Steve Walton (Deputy Headteacher)
31.12.2020 – ONLINE LEARNING STRATEGY FOR JANUARY 2021
During periods of enforced school closure we will be running Remote Education via live Zoom lessons.
- Part of the ‘Live Lesson’ will be setting work which students must submit, teachers will mark and feedback will be given.
- Details of Zoom ‘Live Lessons’ will be sent out via Edulink Homework so both students and parents can receive it.
- All work set will be recorded and sent out via Edulink Homework so both students and parents can receive it.
- We are going use Google Classroom for distributing resources and collecting completed work.
- Assessment scores will be aligned to Chauncy Progress Points and GCSE grades or equivalent where possible.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze Rewards will be given out via BehaviourWatch in the usual manner. Parents will continue to receive the reward e-mails each Friday.
- Teachers will be taking a formal register of attendance.
- We will be contacting parents \ carers of those students who do not attend the ‘Live Lessons’ or do not complete the work set.
- Any inappropriate behaviour will lead to the Live Lesson being cancelled and students who disrupt teaching and learning will be subject to sanctions according to our Behaviour Policy
- To protect and safeguard our students and staff, students must not share Zoom meeting codes with others.
Log in Help
You can view further information about the packages we use here: https://chauncyschool.com/online-learning
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have read the information on the webpage above and still can’t login.
If you have difficulty with the work set or want to ask your teacher a question please e-mail them.
You can get your teacher’s e-mail address from the Edulink app \ webpage or you can find the entire school contact list here: https://chauncyschool.com/contacts/ we will try to reply ASAP.
We have collated a series of support website and telephone services to help students and their families during the pandemic.
Please visit: http://chauncyschool.com/safe-space-secondary-school-information-pack-for-students-and-parents/
As we are forced to communicate and engage with the world via the Internet, it is important to keep ourselves safe online.
The Department for Education recommend these websites to parents to help keep their children safe:
Internet matters – for support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online:
London Grid for Learning – for support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online:
Net-aware – for support for parents and careers from the NSPCC:
Parent info – for support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online:
Thinkuknow – for advice from the National Crime Agency to stay safe online:
UK Safer Internet Centre – advice for parents and carers:
We have three trained Designated Safeguarding Leads in the school.
They are: Steve Walton (Deputy Headteacher), Maria Ingrao (Pastoral Support Officer), Hayley Derrick (Learning Coordinator).
If you have any safeguarding concerns please call 01920 411200 and ask to speak to any of the staff listed above.
Alternatively, please e-mail email@example.com and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Urgent child protection concerns should be reported to: Hertfordshire County Council: 0300 123 4043 – call at any time if you’re a child or young person being abused.
Hertfordshire Police: Call 999 if there is immediate danger or if a crime is being committed.
Steve Walton (Deputy Headteacher)
RETURN TO CHAUNCY SCHOOL IN JANUARY 2021
At 4.30pm this afternoon the Secretary of State for Education announced restrictions on school opening.
Arrangements at Chauncy
– From Tuesday 5th January 2021 teachers will deliver remote learning to ALL Chauncy students.
– Teachers and students will follow their normal school timetable, for example if a student in 9A has English with Miss Matthews first lesson on Monday they will start their lesson at 8.50am.
– Most lessons will be live lessons delivered via Zoom supported by Google Classrooms.
– Key workers and vulnerable children’s parents should e-mail Steve Walton as health and safety arrangements must be made if they wish to send their children into school.
– Please be aware that teachers and Teaching Assistants will be doing remote lessons so key workers’ children will be in computer rooms taking part in those lessons.
– Some students in Years 11, 12 and 13 are sitting external exams and have revision sessions already arranged. Mrs Carey will write to the students concerned to confirm these sessions.
– For the week beginning 11th January 2021 Year 11 and Year 13 students should attend school and there will be no Zoom lessons for Year 11 and 13.
– For the week beginning 11th January 2021 Years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 students will not be in school and will continue with remote learning.
A guide to our remote education strategy is attached to this e-mail.
We await delivery of the government-promised computers, details of free school meal provision, proposals on education from 18th January 2021 and information on testing.
I hope we all have a happier new year.
Dennis O’Sullivan (Headteacher)